I’m realizing it is very hard to blog while traveling. So I will do this the best I can!
We got in yesterday late afternoon. And though I love being somewhere new, I gotta say, Anchorage is probably not gonna make it on my “must visit again” list. It is quite possible that I am missing something, but I am honestly not blown away. That’s not to say that I’m not enjoying myself, because I definitely am. Just overall- anchorage feels a bit underwhelming.
- Landed around 2pm
- Hotel stay at The Aviator in Anchorage- I highly suggest you avoid this place at all costs!!!
- Walked around a local weekend market right around the corner from the hotel with my pal Jes
- Drank a beer from local brewery called 49th state and met a friendly local named Sunshine
- Found a cute bar/restaurant called Tequila 61 and had a fancy yummy cocktail
- Met our guide from Ruby Range- Adam Moore
- Dinner at hotel- despite the accommodations lodging the fish and chips was pretty good
- Passed out and slept like a rock with my face mask and ear plugs on
I began writing rhyming poems on the trip… Here is my first poem written about Sunshine:
Shining in his orange vest
Smiling larger than all the rest.
He's not shy, he'll come right up to you
You'll be confused, not sure what to do.
Engage in a little awkward conversation
Stay or leave? A contemplation.
Just as you decide to go
He stops because he wants you to know...
- Breakfast at hotel
- Went to Wells Fargo Alaskan Cultural Museum and met with Robyn and Megan of the Alaska Art Education Association
- We got to actually touch historical artifacts!!!!
- Drove to Alaskan Native Heritage Center and learned about the 5 different cultures of Alaska’s Native people and the different clans within them.
- Viewed and explored different traditional dwellings of Alaska Native Peoples
- Bought some souvenirs (Earings)
- Went to the Alaskan Native Medical Center for their gift shop. It was very small and made me anxious so I did not really look around
- Walked around downtown Anchorage some more. Still not impressed, but found a cute Oyster/Champagne bar called the Bubbly Mermaid and had both of those things.
- Went to dinner at the Crow’s nest which had an amazing view but was overrated for food. Very expensive for food trying to act fancy. Would not suggest eating there. Go for a drink at most.
- Went back to Tequila 61 for after dinner drinks.
- Played floor is Lava with towels at The Aviator since the floor and carpet was so dang gross